August 26, 2009

 

 

 

 

The Puning Temple, or Temple of Universal Peace of Chengde, Hebei province is a Qing Dynasty era Buddhist temple complex built in 1755, during the reign of the Qianlong Emperor (1735-1796 AD) to celebrate the suppression of the rebellion of Junggar Trib and to show the Qing’s respect to the ethnic minorities. The Puning Temple is of grand scale, occupying an area of more than 23,000 square meters. It is located near the Chengde Mountain Resort, and alongside the equally famed Putuo Zongcheng Temple, it is one of the “Eight Outer Temples” of Chengde. When the Putuo Zongcheng Temple was modeled after the Tibetan Potala Palace, the Puning Temple was modeled after the Samye Monastery, the sacred Lamaist site in Tibet. The front temple was constructed in the Chinese style, although the temple complex follows both Chinese and Tibetan architectural styles.

  The Puning Temple also houses the world’s tallest wooden sculpture of the Bodhisattva Avalokiteśvara (22.28-meter-high and 110-ton), hence the Puning Temple is often nicknamed the “Big Buddha Temple”. The complex features temple halls, pavilions, drum towers and bell towers.

One thought on “The Puning Temple”

  1. Pingback: johnny

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Tags: